INSTRUCTOR: Patti Sharp, OTD, MS, OTR/L is a certified CO-OP Instructor, and OT at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center (CCHMC). She co-leads the Developmental Coordination Disorder Community of Practice at CCHMC. She is an adjunct instructor at the University of Cincinnati. She works with children and youth with DCD, ASD, CP, SCI, TBI, orthopedic and neurologic injuries, and developmental delay. She also previously worked in neurorehabilitation and burn units. Patti is excited to share her passion for evidence-based practices with her therapy colleagues.
AUDIENCE: OTs, PTs, OTAs, PTAs, and Educators
EDUCATIONAL LEVEL: Intermediate
PREREQUISITE: Knowledge of the screening, assessment and identification of children with possible DCD in accordance with the DSM-5. If you do not possess this knowledge, watch DCD-Assessment.
At the completion of the course, the learner is expected to:
- Identify 3 pediatric conditions which are commonly comorbid with or may be confused with DCD
- Identify 2 areas to assess that may assist in differential diagnosis of DCD
- Determine 2 initial treatment recommendation to promote participation in ADLs, play and leisure or other outcome that is meaningful to a child who is likely to have DCD
- DSM-5 Criteria of DCD
- Bad luck and Clumsiness vs. DCD
- Joint Mobility vs. DCD
- ADHD vs. DCD
- Sensory Processing Difficulties vs. DCD
- Post-test: 10-item multiple choice. 70% correct answers required to receive a certificate
1.5 continuing education hours of training are awarded to learners who complete this course.
- Apply EBP, LLC is an approved provider of CEUs for PTs and PTAs in IL, NY; and for OTs and OTAs in IN and IL, and by AOTA (See imprimatur below for details).